Re: release slippage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: release slippage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > One other problem I'm realizing: didn't Peter ask Bruce to revert the
> > change to make pg_upgrade ignore case differences in locale names, on
> > the grounds that it was not safe?
>
> There was a hypothesis that it wasn't safe, but no very clear evidence
> either way.  And we did have the field report of a platform where it'd
> be useful to allow a case discrepancy.  I'm not uncomfortable with
> leaving that as-is pending further evidence.

I am going to return to this issue.  I thought the cause was that we
allow invalid locale names in initdb, and the user actually was getting
a C locale when in fact he had is locale with the wrong case.  I am
going to do more research on this, but obviously after beta2.

http://enterprisedb.com