Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 29 May 2011 14:04, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Anything that even pretends to be a bug tracker will do that.  The
> real question is, who is going to keep it up to date?  GSM has the
> right point of view here: we need at least a couple of people who
> are willing to invest substantial amounts of time, or it's not going
> to go anywhere.  Seeing that we can barely manage to keep the mailing
> list moderator positions staffed, I'm not hopeful.

Well the good news is that first-pass triage of bug reports can be
done by pretty much anybody who is a moderately experienced postgres
user; they don't even need to be a hacker.  They just need to know
when to send back a RTFM link, when to say "you didn't tell us your PG
version" / "post your query" / "post your explain analyse" / "post
your show all", and when to kick the bug report up to a sage hacker.

It's not glamorous work, but it is a very accessible way to
contribute, without the need to block out hours at a time.  A bug
wrangler could very readily log in, sort out reports for 20 minutes
and then go do something else with the rest of their day.

Cheers,
BJ