Indexing strategy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Need some help here. I have a large table (200 million rows already).

There are two columns.

ColA
ColB

There is an index on ColA. It's an important column.

ColB is a boolean. Either 1 or 0.

For about 10% of the data, ColB is 1. Otherwise it's default is 0.

Now, my question: for that 10%, is it worth adding a conditional index
on "ColA WHERE ColB = 1"? Will this save time for the queries that are
related to 10% of my data where the ColB is 1? Or will the main
leading index on ColA already speed things up as much as it can?

Thanks for any ideas!

PK