Re: How to check a table content efficiently? With LIMIT and OFFSET? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Keller
Subject Re: How to check a table content efficiently? With LIMIT and OFFSET?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Jaime

2011/5/30 Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, but in its own time. If you know there has been a batch of inserts/deletes you might as well run analyse
immediatelyon that table.

>> My table is a read-only table after all.
>> That's another reason why I'm reluctant using ANALYZE <table>.
>>

> sorry, i don't follow that... why do you think that a read-only table
> doesn't need an ANALYZE?

Thanks for joining the discussion.

I'm only reluctant to do an ANALYZE as part of a perdiodical (hourly)
"check table contents" function.

Such an ANALYZE command is already included in the perdiodical
(nightly) update script which mirrors OpenStreetMap data.

BTW: I've asked before for best parameters over at pgsql-performance
("How to configure a read-only database server?" 19. April 2011) and I
am still happy about any hint.

Yours, Stefan