Re: performance problem with LIMIT (order BY in DESC order). Wrong index used? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: performance problem with LIMIT (order BY in DESC order). Wrong index used?
Date
Re: performance problem with LIMIT (order BY in DESC order). Wrong index used?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Dieter Rehbein
<dieter.rehbein@skiline.cc> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a performance-problem with a query using a LIMIT. There are other threads rergading performance issues with
LIMIT,but I didn't find useful hints for our problem and it might
> be interesting for other postgres-users.

Did you perform an ANALYZE or VACUUM ANALYZE?
Did you try increasing the statistic targets?

AFAIK, it looks a lot like the planner is missing stats, since it
estimates the index query on idx_nfi_newsfeed will fetch 10k rows -
instead of 25.