Re: planinstr, showing planner time on EXPLAIN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hitoshi Harada
Subject Re: planinstr, showing planner time on EXPLAIN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2011/6/17 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yesterday on PGXN I just released the first version of planinstr, a
>> plugin module to append planner time to EXPLAIN. I post this here
>> since it is mostly for developers.
>
> Wow, that is awesome.  I sorta wish we had something like that in core
> -- and I don't even think it should be optional, I think it should
> just always give you that additional piece of information.

Thanks for a positive feedback. Current design passes instrument time
as global variable from planner to executor. To get it in core we need
to add a field to the planner for that, which I don't think is too
difficult. Anyway I still like its way as it doesn't need any change
in core; free for anyone to use, even in the older versions.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada