Extract (Recover) data from a cluster built on a different architecture (ARM). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phil Couling
Subject Extract (Recover) data from a cluster built on a different architecture (ARM).
Date
Re: Extract (Recover) data from a cluster built on a different architecture (ARM).
List pgsql-general
Hi

I'm looking for a way to extract the data from a PostgreSQL 8.3.14
database (cluster) that was built using an an ARM/Linux server.  The
problem is that the hardware itself is a brick and the replacement
hardware will be X86/AMD64.

Sadly my backups are all copies of the DB files and don't include a
recent text based dump (fail!).  All attempts so far to start up a
server using the original files have failed with a couple of different
errors (Failed to parse...).  I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion
that this is to do with endianness.  X86 is little endian whereas ARM
is primarily big endian.

Are there any tools for recovering data from a database built with a
different architecture or is my data toast unless I can lay my hands
on an ARM box?

Thanks so much for your time.