Re: Need to replace SAN, best method with least downtime? (8.4.4) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: Need to replace SAN, best method with least downtime? (8.4.4)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Marinos,

Il 23/04/11 16:00, Marinos Yannikos ha scritto:
> b) set up a PITR slave (warm standby) on the same box, fail over to
> it, replace SAN A, then set up a PITR slave on A and fail over to it
> eventually

Based on what you said (on a professional basis this would require a
thorough assessment), I would recommend using warm standby then
switchover to the new server. This operation will give you the shortest
downtime. When it is restored, switchback to the original server using
the same procedure.

You can find information on this procedure in the documentation and in
PostgreSQL 9 administration cookbook
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/).

If you are not sure you can do this by yourself, you can still contact
professional companies that regularly do this kind of services around
the world (mine is one of them but for a complete list:
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support) and let them do
the job for you. Probably cheaper and safer.

Cheers,
Gabriele

--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia