Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of mar may 24 15:59:59 -0400 2011:

>> > OK, that's what I needed to hear.  I have applied the attached patch,
>> > but only to 9.1 because  of the risk of breakage. (This was only the
>> > first bug report of this, and we aren't 100% certain about the case
>> > issue.)
>>
>> Hmm, I know the locale can be spelled "en_US.UTF-8" (note dash) in some
>> systems.  So if you have a locale alias that makes en_US.utf8 the same
>> as en_US.UTF-8, the patched code would still not work.  I wonder if
>> there's a need for canonicalization somewhere.  Or maybe this is just
>> not worth the trouble.
>
> I can easily remove dashes before the compare if people like that idea
> --- I think you could argue that a dash is not significant, unless "ab-c"
> and "a-bc" are different locales.

I think the more we mush that string around, the more chance we have
of breaking something.  What's wrong with insisting that people set
the value to the same thing?  Like, really the same?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company