Re: tuning autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: tuning autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think it'd be really useful to expose some more data in this area
>> though.  One random idea is - remember the time at which a table was
>> first observed to need vacuuming. Clear the timestamp when it gets
>> vacuumed.  Then you can do:
>
> As far as I recall that logic, there is no delay between when we know
> that a table needs vacuumed and when we do it.  I don't see the point of
> introducing any such delay, either.

Well, if there are more tables that need vacuuming than there are
workers available at any given time, there will be a delay.  We
probably don't keep track of that delay at present, but we could.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company