Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ian Bailey-Leung
Subject Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Joshua Kramer <josh@globalherald.net> wrote:
>> Part of the problem is the name we're using for the feature.  "Unlogged
>> tables" sounds like we've taken something away and are calling that a
>> feature.  "Now with no brakes!"  As feature names go, it's as unsexy as
> Logless tables?
> Log-Free tables?

The best way to show off a new feature is to emphasize the positive
aspects. The main reason people will use unlogged tables is to improve
performance on tables that do not need to be crash safe. I would
propose calling the feature something like "Fast Tables", and the fine
print can mention the trade-offs related to not logging.

Just my thoughts,
~Ian