Re: Redesigning postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Redesigning postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi Gevik,

On Feb 3, 2015, at 4:36 AM, Gevik Babakhani <gevik@postgresql.nl> wrote:

Hi all,

At FOSDEM we had a discussion regarding redesigning postgresql.org to make it modern and responsive. I might have had one drink too many (water that is) and I kind of volunteered to give a shot at it. The following items we discussed briefly:

[1] Color and theme of the website should remain largely the same blue(ish)
[2] JavaScript can be used but the website must work 100% should someone have JavaScript disabled. This one is particularly hard since many “nice” things in web development, like client side validation and such rely on JavaScript.
[3] The website should be responsive, and adaptive when needed (for this one we need JavaScript for sure)
[4] We discussed the possibility of a CMS functionality briefly.
[5] We discussed the usage of web-fonts and supporting Internet Explorer as of version 9
[6] We did not discuss the backend!!

In the following weeks I want to setup a local copy of the website and start gathering a better picture of what actually needs to be done and the amount of work it is involved.

Any thoughts?

This has been a big rallying cry for me and unfortunately I have lacked the design skills / time to help get something going :( However, I am happy to help in terms of workflow structure (really keep it similar, but change the homepage) and in a review capacity should you like it.

There are some ideas that I proposed here (http://www.pgcon.org/2014/schedule/events/641.en.html) around the homepage.  I would be happy to discuss online / offline.

Best,

Jonathan