Re: automatic time zone conversion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Williams
Subject Re: automatic time zone conversion
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 11:57  PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> If you want automatic handling of summer times the correct approach is
> to leave off the timezone spec on entry, whereupon PG will intuit the
> correct GMT offset for your timezone rules (as set by the TimeZone
> setting).  For instance:
>
> test72=# set timezone to EST5EDT;
> SET VARIABLE
> test72=# select '02/03/2002 12:00:00'::timestamp with time zone;
>       timestamptz
> ------------------------
>  2002-02-03 12:00:00-05
> (1 row)
>
> test72=# select '06/03/2002 12:00:00'::timestamp with time zone;
>       timestamptz
> ------------------------
>  2002-06-03 12:00:00-04
> (1 row)

Aha - I think that's what I want.  Thanks.

I'm getting incredibly confused about the zones, though,
probably because I'm in Australia.  On my system, I see this:

    [sa0110e0:~] kenw> env|grep -i z
    TZ=EET-10EETDT,M10.5.0,M3.5.0

But what's EET?  Postgres seems to define that as something in
Eastern Europe.  Is there a conflict here?  And where can I find
out what all the Mx.x.x stuff means?  Is it system-dependent?
(This is AIX.)

Thanks.

  -Ken