[ADMIN] Partition tables in AWS RDS environment - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Campbell, Lance
Subject [ADMIN] Partition tables in AWS RDS environment
Date
Re: [ADMIN] Partition tables in AWS RDS environment  ("Campbell, Lance" <lance@illinois.edu>)
List pgsql-admin

PostgreSQL 9.6.2

My group is planning on moving our PostgreSQL install to AWS.  We plan to use their RDS option for running PostgreSQL.  When we make this move is there any reason to use Partitioned Tables on really large tables?  Will we get any performance gain?

I know we would get a performance gain on really large tables if we partitioned them and put their partitions in different table spaces that use different disks.  However since we are looking at using the more generalized hands off automated AWS RDS PostgreSQL option I don’t see us using table spaces and different disks.  So would there be any gain in partitioning tables in the more automated AWS RDS PostgreSQL path?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

University of Illinois