Re: How to write a function that manipulates a set of results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ashley Moran
Subject Re: How to write a function that manipulates a set of results
Date
Re: How to write a function that manipulates a set of results  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Mar 14, 2007, at 6:02 pm, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> select * from <insert_your_srf-function_here>.
>
> For instance, if your SRF-function is called foo(), do:
>
> select * from foo();

Andreas,

It's more complicated than that.  What we need to do is something
along the lines of:

results = SELECT * FROM foo();
DELETE FROM results WHERE (some condition involving results);
some_value = SELECT value FROM results WHERE (etc);

and so on...

All of which is easy with table variable, but I can't see how to
translate it to PL/pgsql.  Is there any way to manipulate result sets
in a set-based manner like this?

Ashley