Re: earthdistance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: earthdistance
Date
List pgsql-general
Is there not a precompiled Postgis package you can use?

There are a few dependencies, the PROJ.4 libraries you are missing enable projection support, and the package tools
automaticallymanage such dependencies. I know packages are well supported for Debian, Ubuntu/Mint/etc, Suse & Fedora.

See: http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiInstall

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] on behalf of Olivier Chaussavoine
[olivier.chaussavoine@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:17 PM
To: John R Pierce
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] earthdistance

As a simple potential user, I tried to install PostGIS, downloaded all libraries required: proj-4.8.0,
gdal-1.10.0,json-c,postgis-2.0.3,geos-3.3.8,libwml2-2.9.0,and tried to build the first library with the simple
procedure:

./configure
make
make install

I had a fatal error:

make[2]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/olivier/ob/proj-4.8.0/src »
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -DPROJ_LIB=\"/usr/local/share/proj\"
-DMUTEX_pthread    -g -O2 -MT jniproj.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/jniproj.Tpo -c -o jniproj.lo jniproj.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -DPROJ_LIB=\"/usr/local/share/proj\" -DMUTEX_pthread -g -O2 -MT jniproj.lo
-MD-MP -MF .deps/jniproj.Tpo -c jniproj.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/jniproj.o
jniproj.c:52:26: fatal error: org_proj4_PJ.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

problem out of the scope of this list, and probably not /difficult. Since I look for a simple geographic indexing using
impreciselat,long coordinates that do not deal with precise modeling; that I am afraid of long install procedure, and
heavycomputations, I also give up.

Spacial mysql indexing seems to be included in pre-built packages.

What can we do?