Re: Threads vs Processes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Myron Scott
Subject Re: Threads vs Processes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 10:03 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> writes:
>> One thing that can be done is to arrange all globals/statics in a
>> structure and make that structure thread local.
>
> That's about as far from "non-invasive" as I can imagine :-(
>
> I really, really want to avoid doing anything like the above, because
> it
> would force us to expose to the whole backend many data structures and
> state variables that are currently local to individual .c files.  That
> complicates understanding and debugging tremendously, not to mention
> slowing the edit/compile/debug cycle when you are changing such
> structures.

Another option would be to create thread local hashtable or other lookup
structure to which you would register a structure for a particular .c
file
or group of files.

You could then define the structures you need locally without affecting other parts of the codebase.

Myron Scott