Re: Threads vs Processes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Threads vs Processes
Date
Re: Threads vs Processes  (Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-hackers
Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> writes:
> One thing that can be done is to arrange all globals/statics in a
> structure and make that structure thread local.

That's about as far from "non-invasive" as I can imagine :-(

I really, really want to avoid doing anything like the above, because it
would force us to expose to the whole backend many data structures and
state variables that are currently local to individual .c files.  That
complicates understanding and debugging tremendously, not to mention
slowing the edit/compile/debug cycle when you are changing such
structures.