Re: mysql_field_name equivalent - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: mysql_field_name equivalent
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Dec 31, 2003, at 5:59 AM, Mace, Richard wrote:
> I am running a select query (7.2) and would like to get the name of
> the columns I am selecting
> too, in order to output a header line to an external file, with the
> result of the select.

I'm not familiar with the mysql command mentioned, but just using \o
and specifying a file in psql does what it sounds like you want.
Specify the file using:
\o /path/to/results.txt

The result of every query entered through psql will appear in the file
just as it would otherwise in psql, complete with column headings.
There are ways to specify the delimiter (e.g., tabs rather than
spaces), or the border (and other options as well) using /pset

Does this help?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com