Re: stupid question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From rhkelly
Subject Re: stupid question
Date
List pgsql-novice
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Bryan Irvine wrote:
>
>>Maybe this sounds stupid, but, where is the actual database file?  I'm
>>sure there's a file that is the actual DB, but what/where?
>

> nope ... depending on what version of postgresql you are running, the
> newer ones store it in ${PGDATA}/base/<OID>, under which, there are
> indivicudal files for system tables, indices and tables themselves ...

Is there a Postgress documentation section somewhere that
would tell me the following:

1) the exact correspondence of the files and tables, indices etc.

2) what are the safe filesystem operations on those files
(individual file backup/recovery, moving of files
between different postgress computers/installations etc.?

TIA.
Roger