Re: 1600 Column limit.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Williams, Travis L, NPONS
Subject Re: 1600 Column limit..
Date
List pgsql-general
we have to have all of that information per shelf.. so we have the columns with the information then each row is a
differentshelf.. which to start with there are 400.. which could grow to upwards to any number.. but I did split all of
thisup into seperate tables..
Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin M. Roy [mailto:gmr@justsportsusa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 8:19 PM
To: Williams, Travis L, NPONS; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 1600 Column limit..

Seems like a more effective layout would be

create table tracking (
  i_slot int4,
  i_port int4,
  i_item int4 );

maybe i'm missing somthing, but a 1600 row table is tiny, a 1600 column
table would be very difficult to manage, and poor design.

Gavin

Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:

>The reason we have that is we have 23 slots in a shelf (of equipment)
>and we have 23 ports in a slot.  We are tracking 3 different items per
>port.. so we have 23 x 23 which is 529 x 3 which is 1587 individual
>items to track of which they are all a single digit.  You add into that
>some misc. stuff like shelf name and poll_time and it becomes a mess..
>I just split them into 3 seperate tables.
>
>Travis

Scanned by Sophos Anti-Virus v3.59TPOS, MIMEDefang v2.19,
and Spam Assassin v2.31 on satchel.bteg.net