Re: 1600 Column limit.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: 1600 Column limit..
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Williams,

--On Mittwoch, 13. November 2002 22:27 -0500 "Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
<tlw@att.com> wrote:

> we have to have all of that information per shelf.. so we have the
> columns with the information then each row is a different shelf.. which
> to start with there are 400.. which could grow to upwards to any number..
> but I did split all of this up into seperate tables.. Travis

Seems you are a bit influenced by Makarenko ;)
To your problem: I see you have all these information
which appears to be in a row - but whats the use other
then the storage? How to find a special Slot and look
for its contents? If you would instead have some related
tables, the job is easy - all slots could be indexed.
Otherwise you could use 1 column and use the array datatype
as well. I dont know if there is a limit in the array datatype,
but I would not expect one.

Regards
Tino