Re: new compiler warnings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: new compiler warnings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On ons, 2011-01-26 at 06:33 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I recently started getting these:
>>>
>>> plpython.c: In function ‘PLy_output’:
>>> plpython.c:3468: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
>>> plpython.c: In function ‘PLy_elog’:
>>> plpython.c:3620: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
>>> plpython.c:3627: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
>>>
>>> Please fix.
>
>> Which version of which compiler is showing this?
>
> I've been seeing that for some time with gcc 2.95.3, so it's not exactly
> a new issue.  I've not seen it with modern versions, but I'm not sure
> why not.  What it's unhappy about is the "errhint(hint)" calls, which
> I agree with it are dangerous on their face.  Maybe you're 100% sure the
> hint strings will never contain percent marks, but I'm not.

More to the point, regardless of whether the warning is reasonable or
not, there's tangible value in a warning-free build, which we have had
on most of the systems I use until recently.

My Ubuntu system is complaining about something unrelated and stupid,
but I haven't taken time to look into what's required to fix it yet,
and I don't think it's a new problem.  (Why use Ubuntu instead of Red
Hat, you ask?  Because the last Fedora I put on there had bugs in the
X driver that made it crash several times after every reboot, and
occasionally at other times.  The year of the Linux desktop is
apparently NOT 2010, and I'm not holding my breath for 2011 either.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company