Re: Is there a way to build PostgreSQL client libraries with MinGW - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Is there a way to build PostgreSQL client libraries with MinGW
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM, XiaoboGu <guxiaobo1982@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>        We are using R to work with 64bit PostgreSQL client libraries, and
> to avoid compiler compatibility issues the R development community suggest
> using the same compiler for both the main application and dlls. So do you
> have any experience to build libpq.dll using MinGW 64 bit. Thanks.

According to the documentation, it's not supported.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-win32.html

"Building using MinGW or Cygwin uses the normal build system, see
Chapter 15 and the specific notes in Section 15.8.5 and Section
15.8.2. These builds cannot generate 64-bit binaries. Cygwin is not
recommended and should only be used for older versions of Windows
where the native build does not work, such as Windows 98. MinGW is
only recommended if you are building other modules using it. The
official binaries are built using Visual Studio."

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company