why is max standby delay only 35 minutes? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject why is max standby delay only 35 minutes?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have a server where I wanted to do some reporting on a standby, and
wanted to set the max standby delay to 1 hour. upon doing that, i get
this in the logs:

2011-03-03 21:20:08 EST () [2656]: [2-1] user=,db=LOG:  received
SIGHUP, reloading configuration files
2011-03-03 21:20:08 EST () [2656]: [3-1] user=,db=LOG:  3600000 is
outside the valid range for parameter "max_standby_archive_delay" (-1
.. 2147483)

The error is clear enough, but is there some reason that the parameter
is coded this way? istm people are much more likely to want to be able
to set the precision in hours than in microseconds.

OTOH, maybe it's a bug? The default resolution is in milliseconds, and
you can't set it to anything less than that (afaict). I asked on irc
and the consensus seemed to be that the internal representation is
off, are we missing something?

Robert Treat
play: xzilla.net
work: omniti.com