Re: ALTER TABLE deadlock with concurrent INSERT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE deadlock with concurrent INSERT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 3, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 03:49 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm, is it possible that the following might do that, whereas a simple
>>> ALTER TABLE would not?
>>
>> Impossible to tell without seeing what's in the script... ie: if the script was
>>
>> BEGIN;
>> -- Do something to that table that blocks inserts
>> SELECT change_column_type(...);
>> COMMIT;
>>
>> You'd get a deadlock.
>
> The script was exactly the one posted, i.e.
> BEGIN;
> CREATE FUNCTION change_column_type(...);
> SELECT change_column_type(...);
> COMMIT;
>
> That's all there is to it. And the function itself has no specific
> reference to the table being altered. That's why I'm left scratching my
> head ;-)

I suggest grabbing a snapshot of pg_locks for the connection that's creating the function, and then do the same for the
insertand see what could potentially conflict...
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net