Re: Do we want SYNONYMS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dmitriy Igrishin
Subject Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey Michael,

2010/12/6 Michael C Rosenstein <mcr@mdibl.org>
Synonyms would be very helpful to us. We just migrated our application from Oracle, where we used synonyms to toggle between between two schemas:  one schema could be loaded with new data, while synonyms pointed the web application to the live schema. Once the data load was done, we switched the web app's synonyms to switch to the new live schema.
Interesting. What is "schema" in this context?

We've hacked a solution in Postgres using search paths, but search paths don't work as well as synonyms when the target objects are not in the same schema ("database" in PG-ese, I think).

/mcr