Re: Do we want SYNONYMS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael C Rosenstein
Subject Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?
Date
List pgsql-general
Synonyms would be very helpful to us. We just migrated our application
from Oracle, where we used synonyms to toggle between between two
schemas:  one schema could be loaded with new data, while synonyms
pointed the web application to the live schema. Once the data load was
done, we switched the web app's synonyms to switch to the new live schema.

We've hacked a solution in Postgres using search paths, but search paths
don't work as well as synonyms when the target objects are not in the
same schema ("database" in PG-ese, I think).

/mcr