Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm not sure why that's the right solution. Why do you think that we should
>> not create the tablespace under the $PGDATA directory? I'm not surprised
>> that people mounts the filesystem on $PGDATA/mnt and creates the
>> tablespace on it.
>
> No?  Usually, having a mount point in a non-root-owned directory is
> considered a Bad Thing.

Hmm.. but ISTM we can have a root-owned mount point in $PGDATA
and create a tablespace there.
   $ su -   # mkdir $PGDATA/mnt   # mount -t tmpfs tmpfs $PGDATA/mnt   # exit   $ mkdir $PGDATA/mnt/tblspcdir   $ psql
=# CREATE TABLESPACE tblspc LOCATION '$PGDATA/mnt/tblspcdir';   CREATE TABLESPACE

Am I missing something?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao