Re: psql \dt and table size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: psql \dt and table size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
> It stroke me today again, that \dt+ isn't displaying the acurate table size
> for tables, since it uses pg_relation_size() till now. With having
> pg_table_size() since PostgreSQL 9.0 available, i believe it would be more
> useful to have the total acquired storage displayed, including implicit
> objects (the mentioned case where it was not very useful atm was a table
> with a big TOAST table).

I guess the threshold question for this patch is whether
pg_table_size() is a "more accurate" table size or just a different
one.  It could possible be confusing to display one value in that
column when the server is >= 9.0 and the client is >= 9.1, and a
different value when the server is < 9.0 or the client is < 9.1.

On the other hand, it's clear that there are several people in favor
of this change, so maybe we should just go ahead and do it.  Not sure.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company