Re: psql \dt and table size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: psql \dt and table size
Date
Re: psql \dt and table size
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié mar 23 17:24:59 -0300 2011:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
> > It stroke me today again, that \dt+ isn't displaying the acurate table size
> > for tables, since it uses pg_relation_size() till now. With having
> > pg_table_size() since PostgreSQL 9.0 available, i believe it would be more
> > useful to have the total acquired storage displayed, including implicit
> > objects (the mentioned case where it was not very useful atm was a table
> > with a big TOAST table).
>
> I guess the threshold question for this patch is whether
> pg_table_size() is a "more accurate" table size or just a different
> one.

Not including the toast table and index in the size is just plain wrong.
Reporting the size without the toast objects is an implementation
artifact that should not be done unless explicitely requested.