Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Broersma
Subject Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:

> In PG the first statement you fire off (like an "insert into" for example)
> will start a transaction.  If you dont commit before you disconnect that
> transaction will be rolled back.  Even worse, if your program does not
> commit, but keeps the connection to the db open, the transaction will stay
> open too.

Huh - is this new?  I always thought that every statement was wrapped
in its own transaction unless you explicitly start your own.  So you
shouldn't need to commit before closing a connection if you never
opened a transaction to begin with.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.