Re: catalog corruption causes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: catalog corruption causes
Date
Re: catalog corruption causes  ("Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ)" <Robert.Burgholzer@deq.virginia.gov>)
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ)
<Robert.Burgholzer@deq.virginia.gov> wrote:
> I am trying to get my head around what causes catalog corruption.  I
> have posted before with regard to recovering from corruptions (if that
> is what indeed happened to me), and was given much help.
>
> Does anyone know why a database catalog will get corrupted?  As I
> mentioned previously, my db involves considerable use of temporary
> tables created by php-psql connections.  Other than that, I don't know
> of too much that is "odd" about my use (misuse) of the database.

Note that it's also possible you've found some uncommon corner case
with pgsql code.  If you have tested memory / cpu and can consistently
get corrupted catalogs by running a particular sequence of commands
against pgsql over and over then definitely report it and provide a
test case.  Guidance on reporting problems here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems