Re: Restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> In the windows install PG Admin comes packaged with PostgreSQL.
>
> I`m a little confused. My PDW database has postgres as an owner.
>
> You refer to postgres as a user.
>
> My PG Admin shows postgres as a database along with PDW and
> template_postgis.

And there's also a postgres user.  Change pg_hba.conf to use trust,
reload pgsql, log in, and issue a \du and you'll see all the users.

> The postgres database probably has a password.

databases do not have individual passwords.  Users do.

> Maybe I need to delete the postgres database.

No, that won't change this issue.

Whether or not a particular connection type needs a password or not is
determined by the pg_hba.conf file.  Change that to trust, ident (for
local connections) or md5 as you need.  First match is what you need.
I.e. if you have local unix socket and tcp connections set to trust,
then later entries won't really matter.  pg_hba.conf is pretty close
to self documenting really.

After setting it reload or restart pgsql and you can log in according
to the method you set in pg_hba.conf.