Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma
Subject Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4
Date
Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Can anyone advise me if either PostgreSQL 8.3 or 8.4 is ready for
special case of production use?

I'm considering using the windows version PostgreSQL in the following
conditions:
at least 10 years of up time (with periodic power failures <= 1 a year)
single table with less-than 50 record inserts a day
reporting at most once a month by a single connection
no future patches applied
no DBA for routine maintenance
only CRON-like maintenance (windows scheduler)

I have a project to integrate a solution to log daily production
numbers for historical reporting.  The daily production numbers are
calculated values produced by a programmable logic controller (PLC).
These values will be persisted to a data stored (I'm proposing Pg) on
an industrial computer having a windows O/S.  Here is the problem that
concerns me,  because the PLC and industrial computer will be located
in a control panel in an industrial area no DBA will have access to
provide routine maintenance to the database.

Other than the occasional loss of power, does any one feel confident
that the windows version of postgres as it is today can run without
crashes for an up-time of at least 10 years?

I my case, I used the windows version of PostgreSQL daily for 4 years.
 I've only experienced one crash with version 8.4.0.  Since the
update, I've yet to see any additional crashes.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.