Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Graf
Subject Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/12/2010 11:45 AM, Richard Broersma wrote:
> Can anyone advise me if either PostgreSQL 8.3 or 8.4 is ready for
> special case of production use?
>
> I'm considering using the windows version PostgreSQL in the following
> conditions:
> at least 10 years of up time (with periodic power failures<= 1 a year)
> single table with less-than 50 record inserts a day
> reporting at most once a month by a single connection

I question any database on the market that will guarantee such a thing.
Power in industrial plants is some of the dirtiest.  brown outs, spikes,
surges, harmonics, and the list keeps going.  That is not the best
environment for computers, even industrial ones.

Given how few records are being inserted a day a full database like
Postgresql is over kill.

I would do a plain text file something like XML.  Given this is for
industrial use 10 years is a good number for warranty and support, but
this stuff will hang around years later, think 20 to 30 years.  How
many people understand FLAT ISAM tables from the 1980's today, let alone
tools to read/modify the records.

I suggest storing the records in manner that is human readable

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by
ourproprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other
informationproprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses.If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
thatany unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this
e-mailimmediately.
Thank you.