Re: Tablespace Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Tablespace Issue
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Adarsh Sharma <adarsh.sharma@orkash.com> wrote:
Dear all,

Today I got to have a strong  issue while craeting table in a database.

pdc_uima=# create table clause2_naxal as select * from clause2 c ,page_naxal_v3 p where c.source_id = p.crawled_page_id;
ERROR:  could not extend relation pg_tblspc/17208/17216/23098672: No space left on device
HINT:  Check free disk space.
pdc_uima=# drop table clause2_naxal;
ERROR:  table "clause2_naxal" does not exist

I thougt that that the hard disk becomes full in which the tablespace is created for pdc_uima database.

So, I attach a new hard disk(300 Gb ) and create a new tablespace  in it .

And after, issue the below command :

ALTER DATABASE pdc_uima SET TABLESPACE ts_pdc_uima1;

It takes so much time as database size is near about 40 GB.

It seems it moves the whole database to new place. I think this is not good for future. Is there is any way to  have new  data in  new  tablespace  and  remain old as it  is.

There is a 'TABLESPACE' option to the CREATE TABLE statament.
   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html

--Scott

Also, Can I delete the old tablespace now .

Thanks & Best Regards,

Adarsh Sharma