Re: disable triggers using psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey Myers
Subject Re: disable triggers using psql
Date
Re: disable triggers using psql
List pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:08:53AM -0500, David Johnston wrote:
>> I may be off-track here but triggers do not enforce referential integrity -
>> constraints do.  If you need to disable triggers you can do so via the ALTER
>> TABLE command.
>
> Unless something very big changed when I wasn't looking, the
> constraints are actually implemented as triggers under the hood.  But
> you're right that it'd be cleaner to drop the constraints and re-add
> them than to fool with system triggers.

We were trying to accomplish this without having to hack the dump to
much.  We attempted adding:

set local session_replication_role = replica;

But that does not seem provide the expected relief.

We've got 15 databases we need to convert to UTF-8 and we are trying to
get this done the fastest way possible.

>> The reason I think pg_restore works for you is because when a table is built
>> using pg_restore all the data is loaded into all tables BEFORE any
>> constraints are created.  I believe that if you did a data-only dump from
>> pg_dump you would have the same integrity problems.
>
> Yes.

Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson