Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause, - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>> Yeah, since I like the former, I changed the wordings in the doc and
>> recovery.conf.sample. What about the attached patch?
>
> Please stop plastering the code with elog(FATAL) calls.  Those are
> hardly ever appropriate.  In contexts where it might be reasonable
> to do that, the error handler will treat ERROR like FATAL anyway.

Another problem here is that we are defaulting to hot_standby=off and
pause_at_recovery_target=on.  So AIUI, with this patch, if someone
sets a recovery target without making any other changes to the
configuration, their database won't start up.  That seems poor.

Even without the FATAL error, this whole pause_at_recovery_target
thing is a little weird.  If someone sets a recovery target without
making any other configuration changes, and Hot Standby is not
enabled, then we will enter normal running, but if Hot Standby *is*
enabled, then we'll replay to that point and pause recovery.  That
seems a bit confusing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company