Re: median for postgresql 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dean Rasheed
Subject Re: median for postgresql 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On 16 November 2010 17:37, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> see http://okbob.blogspot.com/2009/11/aggregate-function-median-in-postgresql.html

An 8.3-compatible way of doing it is:

SELECT CASE WHEN c % 2 = 0 AND c > 1 THEN (a[1]+a[2])/2 ELSE a[1] END
FROM
(
 SELECT ARRAY(SELECT a FROM milrows ORDER BY a OFFSET (c-1)/2 LIMIT 2) AS a, c
   FROM (SELECT count(*) AS c FROM milrows) AS count
 OFFSET 0
)
AS midrows;

In my tests this is faster than the analytic and array-based methods,
but not by a huge amount.

Regards,
Dean