Re: Fwd: index corruption in PG 8.3.13 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Fwd: index corruption in PG 8.3.13
Date
Re: Fwd: index corruption in PG 8.3.13
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Nikhil Sontakke
<nikhil.sontakke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> "Other peculiarity in the index file is that we found a lot of zeroed
> out pages. Blocks from #279 to #518 are all completely zeroed out
> without any signs of even a page header. Any ideas on how we can get
> so many zeroed out blocks? Apart from the extend code path, I fail to
> see any other. And this is an unusually large number of zero pages"

What does stat say for the index data file? Are the Size and Blocks
values the same (modulo block size)? Or are these blocks actually not
allocated?

Postgres always forces blocks to be allocated but if they were lost
due to filesystem corruption maybe they're not allocated any more.

--
greg