Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Exposing the Xact commit order to the user
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> It would make it easy to conclude:
>
>   "This next transaction did 8328194 updates.  Maybe we should do
>   some kind of checkpoint (e.g. - commit transaction or such) before
>   working on it."
>
>    versus
>
>   "This transaction we're thinking of working on had 7 updates.  No
>   big deal..."

I'm puzzled how you would define this value. How do you add 7 inserts,
7 deletes, and 7 updates? Is that 21 rows modified? Why are the 7
inserts and 7 deletes worth twice as much as the 7 updates when
they're basically the same thing? What if the inserts fired triggers
which inserted 7 more rows, is that 14? What if the 7 updates modified
2 TB of TOAST data but the 8238194 updates were all to the same record
and they were all HOT updates so all it did was change 8kB?

In any case you'll have all the actual data from your triggers or
hooks or whatever so what value does having the system keep track of
this add?

--
greg