Re: [BUGS] Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dean Rasheed
Subject Re: [BUGS] Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 June 2010 15:56, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
>> I don't think the above would be particularly hard to implement myself,
>> but if it becomes a really big deal, we can certainly punt by simply
>> quoting anything containing an indicator (the special characters above).
>
> I would go with that.  The quoting rules you proposed previously seem
> way too complicated --- meaning potentially buggy, and even if they're
> not buggy, the behavior would seem unpredictable to most users.

Well actually it's not just everything containing a special character,
it's also anything with leading or trailing whitespace, and empty
strings (not sure that can ever happen in practice).

It's because of the potential for bugs in this area, that I'd propose
just quoting everything (except numeric values) as in my original
patch.

Regards,
Dean