Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap
Date
Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Jan Wieck <JanWieck@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since we are talking about stable releases, I think just releasing and
> reacquiring the exclusive lock is enough. We can then try to further improve
> things for future releases.

That seems unsafe - things can change under you while you don't hold the lock...

I kind of like the idea of committing the transaction and then
beginning a new one just to do the truncation.  Given the way the
deadlock detector treats autovacuum, the current coding seems quite
risky.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company