Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap
Date
Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/27/2011 1:24 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> So we should truncate in 16MB chunks also.

On a second though, fiddling with the scan direction is probably too
much of a change for back releases anyway. That 8.3/8.4 can get into a
situation, where autovacuum causes a 12 minute freeze of a production
server could be argued as a bug. Likewise that 9.0 will never succeed to
truncate but cause a 1 second hiccup every two minutes.

Since we are talking about stable releases, I think just releasing and
reacquiring the exclusive lock is enough. We can then try to further
improve things for future releases.

Jan