Maximum number of tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Manos Karpathiotakis
Subject Maximum number of tables
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi all,

I am using postgres 9.0 under CentOS 5.5 (Dual Xeon Quad Core @ 2,44 GHz, 64GB RAM, 2TB RAID 5). In my case, postgres is used as a backend for the RDF store Sesame.
I am trying to store a dataset that consists of approximately 900.000.000 insertions (organized in either 10 tables, or in an arbitrary number of tables exceeding 2000). Loading the data in 10 tables takes about two days, while in the 2nd case, an org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory error is thrown.
After browsing this list, I found this post http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2007-03/msg00215.php describing a problem similar to mine.

The value I currently use for my shared buffers is 512mb, and 64mb for my temp buffers. I have also tried disabling the db's logs.  Would you suggest changing these values for optimization purposes?

I would also like to ask you if a maximum value for max_locks_per_transaction exists, and if you have any experience concerning how many tables I will be able to have under this maximum value (so that I can limit my application to this number).

Thanks a lot,
Manos

Manos Karpathiotakis
National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
Department of Informatics & Telecommunications, Office B25
Management of Data & Information Knowledge Group
Panepistimioupolis, Ilissia
GR-15784 Athens, Greece
Tel: +30.210.727.5159
Fax: +30.210.727.5214