Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Atif Jung
Subject Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL
Date
Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL  (Mladen Gogala <mgogala@vmsinfo.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Sorry I don't understand. I am porting over some stored procedures from INFORMIX to POSTGRES. Some seem to port over OK, but the first problem I am encountering is the lack of SYSTEM command in POSTGRES.

I don't understand what you mean by using an untrusted programming language. The stored procedure is written in PL/pgSQL, are you suggesting to rewrite it in PERL, excuse me for my ignorance.

Thanks

Atif

On 17 June 2010 15:51, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:
Atif Jung <atifjung@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I run an operating system command from a stored procedure? In INFORMIX I
> would use the SYSTEM command, can't see to find the equivalent for POSTGRES.

You can use a un-trusted programming language, for instance pl/perlu or
plsh.

Andreas
unintentional side effect.                              (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."   (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°