Re: Role Membership - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos Mennens
Subject Re: Role Membership
Date
Re: Role Membership  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roles = users/groups. In older versions there where users and groups, that has
> been consolidated into the concept of a role. If it makes it easier I use the
> concept of roles with login privileges as a users and roles without as groups.

So I did a \dg & a \du according to '\?' & I can't see the difference
between the two commands. One is listed as showing 'users' and the
other for 'groups' but the output looks identical to me. Perhaps my
database is not that robust yet.

So if I wanted to create a group / role for accounting, would I simply just do:

CREATE ROLE accounting;

My question is I can't find:

1. How to view all previously created roles on my database. '\dg'
doesn't show me the new role I created above.
2. How to see which 'users' are all members of 'accounting'? Would
that be done simply with '\dg'?