Re: Role Membership - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Role Membership
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 20 December 2010 7:27:19 am Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I was looking at my users and realized none of my users are members of
> a specific group or role. Not sure if there's a difference between the
> two (role / group) in PostgreSQL, is there?
>
> easports=# \du
>                        List of roles
>  Role name |            Attributes             | Member of
> -----------+-----------------------------------+-----------
>  carlos  | Superuser                         | {}
>  postgres  | Superuser, Create role, Create DB | {}
>
> Now my question is about the section 'Member of' and how this is
> commonly utilized by most PG administrators. Is this the same thing as
> explained here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/role-membership.html
>
> If I am not mistaken I can simply create a role called 'accounting'
> and add several users to the 'accounting' group rather than juggling
> several dozen user grants, correct? If anyone can please tell me if
> I'm hot or cold on this issue as well as anything you would think is
> helpful for me to know that is not in the documentation that you
> learned as a PG administrator.
>
> Thanks so much!

Roles = users/groups. In older versions there where users and groups, that has
been consolidated into the concept of a role. If it makes it easier I use the
concept of roles with login privileges as a users and roles without as groups.
You are on the right track.
--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com