Re: Hiding data in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hector Beyers
Subject Re: Hiding data in postgresql
Date
Re: Hiding data in postgresql  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Wow, this is really an idea I can work with.

I know this is getting really brainstorming, but do you think it is possible to apply steganography (hiding data in pictures) tactics to the columns of a database?

Regards
Hector

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Hector Beyers <hqbeyers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> does ANYONE have any tips on hiding data on a database server? This means
> that data is stored in places that is not necessarily picked up in the
> schema of the database. I am doing some research on databases and need some
> direction.
> Any help or direction will be highly appreciated.

Let me guess: an attempt at security by obscurity?

I suppose you could always create a couple of columns such that some
function applied over them produced the real result (.  You could even
actually store this in an index, so although you could never see the
result directly (except in a dump) queries to get at it might perform
half reasonably.

--
Peter Hunsberger